Thousands of years ago, a variety of civilizations developed throughout the land we now know as China. Over time, they grew and changed, eventually forming a single empire. This title details the details the birth and development of ancient China, from its earliest days to its transition into more modern times. Readers will learn about ancient Chinese religion and culture and discover how the work of ancient Chinese scholars and inventors continues to affect our world today.
- Detailed maps and timelines show where civilizations were located and how they expanded over time
- Sidebars explore primary sources and other discoveries that have helped us learn about these ancient societies
- Short biographies explore the accomplishments and impact of key historical figures
- www.factsfornow.scholastic.com is available for those students who want to learn more about the topic.
- This excellent website contains rich content, as well as other suggested websites vetted by our editors
Common Core Connections
- Social studies nonfiction about ancient civilizations and their importance that meets students' need for complex informational texts
- Related articles and web links available on www.factsfornow.scholastic.com with which students can meet the Informational Reading Anchor Standard 9, to analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take
- Timeline, mini-bios, sidebars, an index, photographs, and illustrations provide text features that help students meet Informational Reading Anchor Standard 7, locating information relevant to a given topic efficiently
Common Core Alignment:
RH.6-8.5. Describe how a text presents information (e.g., sequentially, comparatively, causally).