- Maps, charts, and graphs created expressly for Watts Libraryô
- Sidebars highlighting fast facts, quick biographies, and other extracted information
- Timeline (in all social studies titles)
- "To Find Out More" (books, organizations, websites, films/videos, audio)
- "A Note on Sources" (a note from the author describing his or her research materials and processes)
"The layout is attractive and uncluttered, with interesting sidebars and plenty of colorful photographs. A timeline, a glossary, a bibliography of both children's and adult books, and a comprehensive, student-oriented list of organizations and web sites will be helpful for reports as well as for answering medical questions."