Editor's note: This post was originally published December 28, 2015.
Kids love hearing books read to them. They’ve said it time and time again. To see what we mean, just look at the Scholastic Kids & Family Reading Report. 87% of kids aged 6-7 "loved or liked read-aloud time" as do 82% of their parents. Kids aged 6-11 consider it "a special time together" with their family. They also find reading together just good, plain fun.
So parents and caregivers, let’s start reading! Here are 16 reasons to for reading aloud:
- Reading aloud leads children to discover the joy and power of reading.
- Kids want adults to read to them. They said so in our Reading Report.
- Read-alouds are a great part of a healthy bedtime routine
- Children who are read to from a young age go to school ready to learn and grow!
- You can laugh together: The number one thing kids say they want when reading for fun is a “book that makes me laugh.”
- Reading aloud develops vocabulary.
- Spend quality time with loved ones.
- Reading aloud is relaxing.
- Reading together is free.
- Reading aloud helps increase fluency.
- You can read aloud anywhere, any time.
- Reading aloud lets you practice using different voices.
- You both learn when reading aloud.
- Reading aloud is the ultimate way to meet new friends.
- Pets love when their owners read to them!
- Reading aloud makes you smarter!