Engaging Families in Children's Literacy Development: A Complete Workshop Series
Teaching families how to build children’s literacy skills during everyday activities can play a big role in students’ future success in school and in life. This innovative research-based workshop kit prepares literacy educators to lead a series of five 90-minute sessions that demonstrate with videos and hands-on activities easy, practical ways families can read, write, draw, and talk with children. The goal is coaching families to be powerfully engaged in their children’s literacy growth at home.
Created and field tested by three literacy experts, the workshop kit includes:
• a step-by-step workshop leader’s guide
• hands-on literacy activity ideas for participating families to try
• video clips of families engaged in lively literacy practices to kick-off each workshop
• 5 high-quality books for modeling ways to share books with children
• tips for successful workshop implementation and boosting attendance
Perfect for family literacy development opportunities in school and community settings!
• Workshop Leader’s Guide
• DVD with videos
• CD includes reproducible forms and handouts
• Beyond Bedtime Stories, 2nd Edition
• 5 books (1 per workshop) Bugs A-Z by Caroline Lawton; Gregory, the Terrible Eater by Mitchell Sharmat; Mice and Beans by Pam Muñoz Ryan; Just Write! by Joanna Quick; Red-Eyed Tree Frog by Joy Cowley