Infuse your reading program with high quality
Culturally Responsive Text Collections
, perfect for interactive read alouds, collaborative conversations, theme studies, text sets, book study groups, independent reading, and student research
In our increasingly diverse nation and interconnected world, students need global awareness and a deep understanding of, and respect for cultural equity and diversity. The International Reading Association (IRA), National Council Teachers of English (NCTE), and Common Core State Standards call upon us to help our students understand other perspectives and cultures.
Each Collection offers a positive representation of the culture featured. Many of the authors are cultural insiders and have created complex characters beyond stereotypes. Books selected for these collections:
• Reflect the values, strengths, and ideals that a cultural group considers vital.
• Represent, accurately, the characters’ country of origin.
• Address complex issues with sensitivity and nuance.
• Portray characters as problem-solvers.
• Feature the diversity most typical in different regional areas.
Bring the world into your classroom through culturally responsive literature and open windows of understanding.
See below for complete list of titles. Appropriate titles of equal value may be substituted if any of the listed titles are unavailable at shipping time.
• 10 Days: Martin Luther King Jr.
• Accidental Love
• Ask Me No Questions*
• Becoming Naomi León
• The Circuit
• Code Talker
• Confetti Girl
• Courage Has No Color
• The Dreamer
• Elijah of Buxton
• The Emperor's Silent Army
• Esperanza Rising
• Fort Mose
• A Friendship for Today*
• George Washington Carver
• Hachiko Waits
• Harlem Summer
• Home of the Brave
• Inside Out & Back Again
• Langston Hughes
• Taking Sides
• Touch the Sky
• Touching Spirit Bear*
* Titles may contain language or content considered inappropriate for younger readers.