These 15 standards-based activities with mystery-picture drawings really motivate students to practice key math skills. After students complete each skill sheet, they use their answers to follow step-by-step directions that guide them to draw a hidden picture. Since only correct answers will create the right picture, these activities are self-checking and make great independent work or homework. Topics include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions and decimals, geometry, measurement, and more.
Ideas for Differentiation
Here are some ways to help students who learn and work at different rates.
For students who may need more support than others:
• Check students’ Solve It pages before they read the Hidden Picture Directions.
• Read aloud the directions as students follow along.
• Have students highlight the steps they need to follow (or cross out the
wrong choices) to help them focus on the right steps.
• Complete a selected number of steps with students to help them get started with their picture.
• Pair struggling students with higher-skill students who can assist with checking problems and reading the directions.