Everyone’s favorite big, red dog, Clifford, celebrates his birthday on Valentine’s Day!
So this year, set aside your conversation hearts for a minute and take a look at some of our favorite Clifford resources. From board books to chapter books, crosswords to videos and everything in between, our friends at Scholastic have you covered.
Did you know?
- Author Normon Bridwell was always drawing—so much so that his high school shop teacher actually took his tools away and gave him a drawing pad instead!
- Bridwell visited 15 publishing houses and not one of them wanted his illustrations for their books.
- One editor suggested Bridwell write a story to go along with his illustrations, saying his artwork was just not good enough.
- Emily Elizabeth is named after Bridwell’s daughter, and Clifford is named for an imaginary friend from Bridwell’s wife’s childhood.
- Bridwell was firm in demanding that Clifford only do what real dogs would do.
- The first Clifford book was published in 1963.
- There are more than 129 million copies of the Clifford books in print, and they exist in 13 languages!
Your kids can play online with Clifford:
- Check out all of Clifford’s Big Red Games
- Send Clifford a Card (wish him a happy birthday!)
- Play Clifford’s Shell Match
- Play Clifford’s Letter Round-Up
- Play Peek-A-Boo with Clifford (great for younger kids!)
- Try to beat Clifford at Tic-Tac-Toe
Print out some Clifford games:
Some family-fun crafts with Clifford:
- Clifford Finger Prints
- Make a Clifford Lion Mask
- Feed the birds with a Clifford Birdfeeder
- Make your own Clifford Ears!
Kids can color Clifford and his friends:
- Clifford Coloring Sheet
- Clifford Heart Fence
- Clifford and Emily Elizabeth
- Cleo and Clifford Dog Match
- Emily Elizabeth Coloring Sheet
- Celebrate Valentine's Day With Clifford
- Clifford 8 x 8” books
- Clifford Board books
- Clifford Readers
- Clifford Audiobooks
Clifford on screen:
For teachers and parents:
- Clifford Lesson Plans – Seasonal Lesson Plans and Big Ideas
- Clifford Magazine
- Be Big With Clifford
- Clifford Shop
- Clifford News
What are your favorite Clifford memories? What do you and your kids love most about this loveable big, red dog?
Share your ideas on the Scholastic Parents Facebook page, or find Amy on twitter, @teachmama, and let’s continue the conversation!
Check out bloggers Amy Mascott and Allie McDonald's book, Raising a Rock-Star Reader: 75 Quick Tips for Helping Your Child Develop a Lifelong Love for Reading. Get expert advice and learn new strategies for your young readers.