The title of this activity sounds serious, but really this letter recognition game is fun and gives kids a chance to connect their brains with their brawn as they play with letters.
How to Prepare:
You will need to grab a marker and some index cards and write out a handful of letters, one on each card. Write out actions like jumping jacks, clap, march, etc., on another handful of cards.
How to Play:
1. A player chooses an action card and letter card.
2. Next, s/he reads the letter that is on the card.
3. You read -- or have someone else read -- the action card.
4. Move! The child must recite the alphabet and perform the action until s/he reaches the selected letter on the card.
5. Repeat with new cards from the pile.
For example: If your child pulls an H from the letter pile and jumping jacks from the action pile, he must sing the alphabet from A to H while doing jumping jacks.
Don't forget to get in on the action, too. Play with your kids and have fun with letters!
Do you have a fun and active way to learn? Share it with us over on the Scholastic Parents Facebook page.