- Maps, charts, and graphs created expressly for Watts Libraryô
- Sidebars highlighting fast facts, quick biographies, and other extracted information
- Timeline (in all social studies titles)
- "To Find Out More" (books, organizations, websites, films/videos, audio)
- "A Note on Sources" (a note from the author describing his or her research materials and processes)
9/1/04 Science Books & Films
All four of these books by Trudi Strain Trueit follow the same format, which segments the books into four or five chapters divided into subsections, followed by a glossary, additional resources, the author's notes on her sources, and an index. All four volumes include attention-grabbing photography, excellent charts and diagrams, short articles with or without photographs, and vocabulary terms that appear in bold and are explained in context. All four books would be a great addition to a science library, either in an individual classroom or in a science lab for grades four to seven. Students would be able to start with one of these books and then research a topic further.