This product is offered exclusively by Scholastic Inc.
Visit the Shockwave website
for more information.
Shockwave is a series of informative high-interest books that make reading across the content areas accessible for all students, including striving and reluctant readers. Paired readings across science and social studies topics help students transfer content-area concepts from one subject to the other and from one book to another.
Shockwave supports striving readers with embedded, point-of-use comprehension and vocabulary prompts, as well as with scaffolded instruction. The aspirational content of this series presents advanced concepts at a reading level students are comfortable with.
• Targets content-area standards in science and social studies.
• Contains content-based fiction and expository texts.
• Uses a mix of realistic illustrations and photography to engage students.
• Includes special text features such as a "comprehension coach," vocabulary support, and "shocker" facts.
Each Shockwave collection includes:
• 40 books (10 Science titles; 10 Social Studies titles; 2 copies each. See below for complete list of titles.)
• 2 tabletop book holders
• 1 Classroom Card Pack
• Program Overview
• Teacher notes (20 cards: 1 per title)
• Fact Files (40 cards: 1 Fact card per title; 2 copies each)
• Anatomy of a Volcano
• Art as Science
• Ashes to Ashes
• Boundary Breakers
• The Bull and the Bear
• Dollars and Sense
• The Egyptian Science Gazette
• Full Speed Ahead
• Leonardo da Vinci
• Made By Humans
• Mighty Earth
• Racing on the Wind: Steve Fossett
• The Rock We Eat: Salt
• Scientists Try, Try Again
• Thrills and Spills
• Tombs and Treasure
• The Uncanny Can
• The Water Planet
• Wicked and Wonderful Water
• The Wind at Work